Friday, March 5, 2010

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

On nights when I'm stretched for time, but still wish to write a blurb about a beloved book, I turn to my stash of board books.

And I would be remiss not to include an Eric Carle picture book among my first twenty posts. Add Bill Martin Jr. taking care of the words, and what do you get?

A brown bear, red bird, yellow duck, green frog... Yes, the classic Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?



I'm not sure if this picture book was written with the intent to be sung, but I have never been able to read it without adding a musical lilt to the words. Or peppering it with animal sounds, especially if someone is especially squirmy or sleepy-eyed. I would read this to my daughter when she was wee as a bedtime story. It is one of a number of books that will always bring her babyhood to mind.

Eric Carle's signature tissue paper collage is beautiful as always. After writing a number of these reviews, I'm finding that I'm especially drawn to collage-style illustrations. And Carle is certainly a king among collage artists.

This book is a classic and ought to be on every child's bookshelf, well-worn and much-loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment