Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Doggies


I’ve thought long and hard about my favorite Sandra Boynton book...and I’ve chosen Doggies.

True, I love the rhythm, cadence, and pure fun of Barnyard Dance, the silly turkey in Red Hat, Blue Hat, and those party-loving hippos of Hippos Go Berserk. But Doggies it is.

Why?

Well, maybe it is for the purely sentimental reason that this board book was one of my daughter’s first. Or, perhaps it is because I enjoy the chance to sound like a dog ten different ways.

It is uncanny how accurate she has managed to match up specific barks with particular breeds of dog. I suppose it only takes a little research and observation, but I remain in awe. “Ar-roof!” says the Afghan dog seven times, and I buy it. ”Ruff ruff, ruff ruff” says a perky shepherd, and I nod, yes: the bark fits the dog.

If you’re willing to woof and yap your way through the entire book, a total of 33 barks plus a howling session, thank you, then you really are due for a treat of some sort. Of course, there is no better prize than a child’s admiration and giggles at the story’s end, but I wouldn’t pass up a glass of water after all of that doggie fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment